Deploying games to the Chrome Web Store seems stupidly easy
I was going to do a blog post about my trip to GDC, but to be honest the whole thing was such a whirlwind that now I can’t even decide where to start. In the meantime, I’ll write about my April One Game a Month submission.
But first, March
I’ve just realized that I never did a post on my March submission - Promiscuous Flea. This is the game I tested out object pooling on, which ended up being rather successful (I think). You play as a female flea whose goal is to keep the flea population alive for as long as possible (and not die yourself) as you run around a cat face and breed with as many male fleas as you can. You can play it here and see the code on GitHub.
April game - the lazy approach
I think GDC and the past three months of games have worn me out a bit, so I was feeling very demotivated for April. And in true slug fashion instead of making a new game I decided to re-release a game I made for the js13kGames challenge on the Google Web Store. If I was not feeling so lazy this month I would have made improvements to the actual game as well, but as it is the web store version is just an exact replica of the original game.
What surprised me was just how easy it was to put this thing on the Chrome web store. All I had to do was create a manifest file and a couple of icons and zip the whole thing up, then upload it via the Developer Dashboard. That’s it! The whole process took maybe 30 minutes in total. It made this month’s project feel like even more of a copout.
But I guess this means that I now have two months to work on the game for May, and I think I have a pretty good idea.